Sunday, October 16, 2011

A Decision You Make

CREW
As soon as you join the Africa Mercy and live on board you are considered crew. I feel like there are mixed emotions and feelings that come with being crew on the Africa Mercy. I would say in my time here I have definitely had my ups and downs, felt very enthusiastic about what I am doing and had points where I questioned why I am here. I have felt helpless like the work we are doing wasn't enough and I felt like we we are doing some of the greatest work ever known to man. I've had times where all I wanted was to be back in the west living the American dream, and I have had times where no material possession could make me happier then I was in that moment serving christ. 


Through all the ups and downs of serving with Mercy ships ultimately I love what I do, and I think a lot of people on the ship feel the same. Unfortunately with a lot of people in a small space people talk. There is always some kind of gossip going around, there is always criticism towards the organization. There are always people who just don't like the way things are run. Ultimately there are a lot of NEGATIVE ATTITUDES!! So this Blog is not to focus on the struggles I have with my time here, its to focus on the things I love about serving with Mercy Ships!


I love waking up every morning and knowing that I am here because God called me here.


I love that as I am doing my work everyday peoples lives are being changed two decks below me with transformational surgery.


I love being able to dance with Africans in there culture, feel like a fool, and know it doesn't matter because everyone around you looks the same way!


I love walking through the hallway of the hospital and hearing drums and guitars and God's people singing him praises.


I love the fact that to work and back, round trip is 184 steps (and imagine if your legs are longer then mine...)


I love that both my bunk mate's have been my spiritual accountability parters and hold me accountable to everything I do and say on a regular bases.


I love that in a days time I can potentially be in 6 different group prayers for different things.


I love that I don't have to be afraid to be a believer in my workplace.


I love being in a place where people from over 40 different nations in the world come together with a common goal of serving christ.


I love sitting on deck 8 over looking the ocean and playing worship on my guitar to a God who is so worthy to be praised.


I love the opportunity to meet some of the most inspiring, humbling and generally awesome people have ever met and get to serve along side them for years to come.


I love the feeling of being away for a weekend and coming back to the ship on sunday night and breathing a sigh of relief knowing i'm home.


I love reading all statistics of africa and the poverty levels and knowing that we are here making a difference.


I love when the night arrives when they are finally serving pizza for dinner in the dining room:)


I love seeing a kid with a deformity go into surgery quiet and withdrawn and come out on top of the world knowing that they don't have to hide anymore because they for there first time in there life fit in!


I love walking out of the port and by the time i get to the top of the street being called Lionel Messi (famous soccer player)  50 times because apparently i look like him:)


I love never being able to go a day with out hearing about God at least once.


I love knowing that my hard work everyday effects the lives of the people we are serving.


I love seeing a blind man come on the ship walk out being able to see.


I love how you become more thankful for what you have just by being here in this culture.




There are a lot of things I can choose to be negative about on the ship but I am choosing to be positive. At the end of the day this is where God has called me and to be truthful..... I LOVE IT!!!!!


The choice is yours so take your pick:)







1 comment:

  1. Hey Jeff.Thanks for the blog, its good to take the focus off the negative stuff and put it on the positive stuff. Thanks for the slap on the cheek and the wake up call!

    ReplyDelete